This summer seems to be the summer of tying up loose ends! (I suppose that having a newer computer to work with than last year and a more comfortable living space greatly increase the productivity from last year too.) I’m happy to say that I’ve finished another project which has been in the works for a while: a new church logo.
As I said, this project has been in the works for a while. The old logo (above) was a hand-drawn sketch of the church. I have no idea how old it is but we were ready to upgrade to something a little more clean-cut and modern. The biggest problem was, we weren’t sure what we wanted. Without having a name that portrays an image (Hill, Mount, Love, Cross, etc.) we eventually decided to stay with an image of the church so that we could still be recognized as the same church. Thus, an image of the bell tower was created:
Many people will recognize the church from this angle because a well-traveled intersection also has this same view of the bell tower. Showing a corner of the building also creates more interest with the light and shadows creating a strong contrast, and allows you to use any color combinations (for t-shirt designs, etc.).
From a personal perspective, I’m very grateful for all the design opportunities my church has given me. They’ve nurtured me and helped me expand my talents and I’m very grateful they’ve taken a chance with me. As with each project I’ve learned a lot about logo-making. I learned to expand my way of thinking and creating a little outside the box and experiment to figure out what looks good when I don’t need to include every detail, which has been an important lesson for my whole thought process in art recently. I can’t wait to share more projects with you as I finish them! (Coming soon: some wedding photography and a new logo!)